So, a few nights ago a forty-something friend and I went to see Bob Saget. I mention our age only because I think it might have been relevant to our level of enjoyment of his show. (That and our relative level of intelligence.)
When my friend phoned to invite me, my first thought was Bob Saget? You mean the guy from "Full House" and "America's Funniest Home Videos"? That Bob Saget? He does stand up comedy? I was to learn that yes, indeed, Bob Saget does stand up comedy and he is in fact quite raunchy and filthy while doing it.
That's not why I didn't really enjoy the show. I like raunch and filth as much as the next person. I enjoy no-holds-barred, irreverant, politically-incorrect comedy. Bring it on! But it still has to be clever comedy. Sadly, this was not.
I should have had an inkling from the audience demographic. It was overwhelming young and male. There was a lot of beer and testosterone in the room.
For those uninitiated in the ritual that is Bob Saget comedy, basically it involves a lot of audience interaction, most of it quite unpleasant. I would categorize it as "humour by humiliation." And it seems to be an accepted two-way street judging by the guy sitting behind me who, in the middle of the show, yelled out at the top of his voice: "Fuck You, Bob Saget!", followed by much laughter and cheering from the audience. Bob apparently doesn't mind and will tell you to "shut the fuck up", too when he's not telling rambling stories about his Dad.
I think I laughed once -- maybe twice -- during the whole show when a girl in the audience said her name was "Hailey, like the comet." Bob's witty comeback: "Does that mean you only come every 22 years."
Okay, that was clever. But not worth the price of the ticket. Thank God we didn't pay other than in the wasted time we will never get back.
Thursday, December 23, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment