Thursday, January 6, 2011

Censorship and Revisionist History

I heard on the news yesterday that a special revised edition of Mark Twain's classics "The Adventures of Tom Sawyer" and "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn" will be published in which occurrences of the word "nigger" will be replaced by the more politically correct word "slave."
Yes, "nigger" is a terrible, hateful word that harkens back to a dark period of American history. But I cannot condone changing the text of these classic works of fiction in an attempt to hide, sanitize, or avoid this history. The fact is it existed, and we are better or worse (better, I hope) for having lived through it. Hiding evil in dark places only serves to nurture it. Better to examine it under the full light of truth.
Mark Twain did not include the word "nigger" in his books because he was racist. He included it because use of this word was a reality of the time and place. According to the news story, Twain was married to an abolitionist and firmly supported it's principles.
I am a rabid opponent of any kind of censorship in any media. To me, revising Mark Twain's books is a form of censorship. My mother taught me a very important quote which I follow to this day:

"I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

I hope schools will continue to read, study and discuss the original versions of his books.

No comments:

Post a Comment