Of the two Web 2.0 products, I think I would be more inclined to actually use Flickr. I like the way you can organize your photos into different categories (and apply tags) and limit access through privacy settings. Temporary "guest passes" are also available for those without a Flickr account. The coolest stuff is under the "Make Stuff" category: cards, calendars, collages, posters, and even your own photobook! What a great blending of photography and creativity.
I noticed there was a difference depending on if I simply searched for photos of an object versus seeking Flickr groups on a topic. For instance, a search for "composter" yielded 2,460 photos (including one featuring a baby titled "Ardyn plays in the new composter"!) whereas there are 132 members of the "Compost" group with only 390 photos in this group. Definitely more exclusive.
One figure that struck me on the main Flickr page: 6,791 uploads in the last minute! That translates to 407,460 uploads per hour and almost 10 million uploads a day!!
As soon as I got to You Tube I was passively agressively warned that my web browser is "no longer supported" and that I should "please upgrade to a modern browser." I feel like a woman wearing a girdle during the sexual revolution. Sigh.
Nevertheless, in spite of my prehistoric browser status, I was able to view several video clips, including "Dramatic chipmunk" and Star Wars inspired "Darthmatic chimpunk."
And I have discovered I am addicted to video clips of laughing babies! Is this weird?
Summary: Flickr seems more useful; You Tube more entertaining.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment