Wednesday, July 7, 2010

What a Caulk Up!

Sigh...the home improvement shows make it look so easy.

A small task today (while I'm on holidays) was to caulk around a small shed window. The other day I bought some caulk and a caulking gun in preparation. I should have known by the sheer range of choices available in the caulk aisle that a difficult adventure lay ahead of me.

It seemed an eternity to decide on the caulk. Did I want Silicon Rubber (I) or just Silicon (II)? What colour/tint? For Windows and Doors or Bathrooms and Kitchens? I almost left the store without the caulking gun until I overheard another woman talking about it and realized it would probably come in handy as a delivery device.

Tip #1 about caulking: Adequately prepare your area! My first "kick at the caulk" I forgot to tape the areas I didn't want sticky, gooey, difficult-to-clean caulk to go. (See also Tip #3.)

Tip #2: Before loading the caulk in the gun, cut the top off AND pierce the inner nozzle. I forgot to pierce and as a result had sticky, gooey, difficult-to-clean caulk coming out of the bottom of the caulking gun. Trust me, this is about as much fun as unanticipated anal sex.

Tip #3: Always have A LOT of paper towel handy as there will be a lot of sticky, gooey, difficult-to-clean caulk EVERYWHERE! (The cats are still cleaning themselves!)

Tip #4: Try to live near a Home Depot, so you can keep going back for more supplies when you f*ck up.

Tip #5: Throw away all the evidence before your boyfriend gets home so he doesn't see how many times you actually did f*ck up before finally getting it right!

No comments:

Post a Comment