Tuesday, March 23, 2010

The Scary Part of Starting a New Journey

Starting a new journey is exciting... and, yes, it can be scary, too. Because it's unchartered territory. Is the earth actually round or will we sail right over the edge, never to be seen again? Web 2.0 feels a bit like that to me.
I picked a book off the new book cart today. It's called "The Digital Pandemic: Reestablishing Face-to-Face Contact in the Electronic Age," by Mack R. Hicks. I think the title sums up one of my main trepidations with the Internet and Web 2.0: the loss of human connection in a non-digital way. I am rather tired of trying to communicate through phone trees, distant call centres, 1-800 numbers, and remote web servers, to "customer care" agents who seem as though they really could care less. I would much rather sit down and chat with someone face to face, than keep in touch with their myriad goings-on on Facebook or Twitter. I'm also concered with privacy issues, which is why I have chosen a pseudonym for my Web 2.0 journey.
Maybe I will find my own "Room with a View" on this new frontier. Time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment