Saturday, April 3, 2010

Delicious Leaves a Bad Taste in the Mouth

I wasn't looking forward to this part of the exercise, because I will admit I am NOT a fan of Delicious. First of all, it takes ages to load on my Millennium-vintage PC, which is frustrating. Then when I finally "get in", my linear brain is confused by the apparent randomness of the site and it's myriad of tags. I find it difficult to both search and navigate.
Having said that, I do use Delicious for things like looking up "recommended" websites on health/medicine, phone books, and government sites. And I demonstrate the advantage of these recommended links to customers taking our technology programs (e.g. CyberSeniors.) As part of this Web 2.0 exercise I used Delicious to find the new "Discover Canada: The Rights and Responsibilities of Citizenship" guide (Citizenship tag) and also information about the upcoming Calgary Youth Employment Fair (Jobs tag, then Youth tag.)
So, while Delicious is usable, it is definitely not my first choice for information. It would rank higher as a reference tool if it wasn't so convoluted and was more intuitive and user-friendly.
It's a dish with way too many spices for my taste! I prefer simpler fare.

No comments:

Post a Comment